Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Straight Into Battle

Lafayette, Bro.
Okay, so I am taking French this semester, and I must say: I've never met a French man as cool as Lafayette. I also applaud Daveed Diggs for pulling off both Lafayette and Jefferson, which had to be no easy task. Plus: I can barely speak French in a French accent, so I cannot imagine rapping with a French accent.

The song, 'Guns and Ships' showcases Diggs' rapping skills exquisitely, and is one of my favorites from the musical.

I love that this song takes place somewhat mid-battle. The sounds of the canons in the background at the beginning is one of my favorite parts of any of the songs. I also love the planning that goes on in this song.
One of the best parts in 'Hamilton' is the rapping. I don't think that such an important song that is tackles such a high intensity  event couple take place without the fast-paced rapping that takes place.

Another interesting part of this song is the order in which it takes place. This song takes place before 'History Has Its Eyes On You', thus a slower paced ending is necessary in order to transition into the next song. The diversity of paces utilized in this song is amazing.
I also think that it is interesting that 'Guns and Ships' sets the ground work for the song, 'Yorktown'. The two men finally get to do the battle that they have been planning for so long. Some may argue that Yorktown could have still been performed without Guns and Ships, because we do not necessarily need to know about the planning of the battle. However, I think that this song adds a lot to the musical and is a fun and peppy rap song that every can enjoy.

I also love how this song and the song 'Yorktown play off of one another. Even with a song in the middle, these two numbers call on lyrics from one another in order to create a fun and exciting song out of such an important American event: The Battle of Yorktown.
So, do you think the musical needed the song, 'Guns and Ships', or do you think that 'Yorktown' could have stood alone? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment