Wednesday, December 14, 2016

I'm Literally Crying

WASHINGTON DON'T LEAVE


Washington: the first and possibly best President. If he had went on for a third term, perhaps Barack Obama would still be our President. But I guess there's no point crying over spilled milk.

The song, 'One Last Time' actually made me want to cry. You can obviously tell how sad Washington is to retire from his post, but he also looks towards the future.
If Washington would have ran for a third term, many other Presidents would have wanted and have felt obligated to run for a third term.

When I think about this, I see that this could have been amazing in some cases, such as:
-Washington
-Lincoln (If not assassinated)
-Roosevelt
-Reagan
-FDR
-Obama

BUT then again, the sword is often double sided. If he had ran for a third presidency, many others would have also ran again that would have been bad for America.
-Jefferson
-Jackson
-Johnson
-Bush

When I look back on Washington's Presidency, I think of one that set the mold for all future presidencies. If Washington hadn't have made the bold decision to retire, perhaps American would have been deprived of some great presidents. Perhaps, even, we would have fallen back into our Monarchy ways. 
I am truly thankful for Washington's bravery in his choice to retire.

1 comment:

  1. I think you kind of glossed over the main problem of George Washington taking a third term. The main problem is not seemingly what if bad presidents ran for a third term, or would good presidents take over terms of other good presidents. The problem as you mentioned briefly would be with creating another monarchy. It's one of the most beautiful things about Democracy...the fact that at most you will only have to deal with one president for 8 years. Perhaps if Washington had taken another term, he would have been asked to take another and another if possible. Leading to a country too dependent on Washington and a country that wouldn't feel like a Democracy.

    ReplyDelete