Phillip, a recent graduate, is excited to be a man and follow in his father's footsteps.
Phillip is said to be very smart and handsome, just like his father. He even speaks of his father's words from the song, 'Dear Theodosia' saying that someday he will blow us all away. Little does he know that he will soon be dead.
This player of a young man decides to track down George Eacker who has tarnished his father's legacy. When Eacker challenges him to a duel, Phillip asks his father for advice. Alexander explains that a true man would respect another if the other man fires his weapon in the air and not shoot, because killing someone is something you, "can't shake."
Phillip takes his dad's advice and plans to fire in the air, but before he can count to ten Eacker has shot him and he is slowly dying.
As I parent, I could not allow my own son or daughter to stand up for me. It is my job to protect my own legacy while I am alive, not theirs. As a parent, I think that Alexander should have asked Phillip to avoid the fight. Though being a pansy in that day and age was the worst possible fate, I would be more concerned with death.



No comments:
Post a Comment