Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Baby Daddy Blues

 Those baby daddies, though...


The song "Dear Theodosia" is one that I find to be adorable in lyric and tune. Burr's and Hamilton's odes to their new children, Theodosia and Philip, are filled with sweet words and wishes for their children. One may wonder why these two men with a seemingly hard exterior are caught up in a moment of weakness; but it's perfectly clear: they must love their children twice as much in order to make up for the love they didn't receive as children. This need for love creates a reoccurring cat and mouse game of child chasing after their father's affection.

Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr both found themselves as orphans, so they hoped that their children would be able to make them proud just as they had wished to make their own parents proud.

One line that Burr sings to his daughter is, "When you came into the world, you cried and it broke my heart. I’m dedicating every day to you. Domestic life was never quite my style. When you smile, you knock me out, I fall apart." Burr obviously can't help but melt in the presence of his daughter, a child whom he loves dearly.
A line sung by Alexander reads, "Oh Philip, when you smile I am undone, My son, Look at my son. Pride is not the word I’m looking for There is so much more inside me now. Oh Philip, you outshine the morning sun. My son, When you smile, I fall apart." Alexander is also very enthusiastic about the birth of his son and loves him beyond what he ever thought he could.

Not only do the two men hope that their children can grow and prosper in their new nation, but they also hope to see it as well. I find it funny that when the children are born that the men make a promise to be around; however, both men are rarely home and don't see much of their children's upbringing.

I think it is sad that by the time Alexander gets a chance to get to know his son, it is too late: Phillip has died trying to defend his honor.
The men had a yearning for love that was not supplied to them as children and promise to give their children this love and then some. However, the men's failure to be around causes their own children to chase after them, leading to Philip's own demise.

I think if Philip had had his own son, he would have followed in his father's footsteps and tried to be just like him. In his effort to be like him, he would lose sight of what really matters: his own child, and the cycle would continue.

My question is, do you think that if Philip had had his own son, he would repeat the cycle that Hamilton's life as an orphan created, or do you think he truly would have been devoted to his child and why?

11 comments:

  1. That's a really interesting question. I'd like to think that he would learn from his father's mistakes and be there for his children. However, he would've gone on to have a busy and successful career, so it's hard to say. Having attended Columbia University, a prestigious contemporary school, he was bound for a high position, so to me, it's fair to assume that he would be as busy as his father.
    - Anna Graves

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good question! I think like Anna said, he would learn from his father's mistakes and also from his lifestyle growing up and see what kind of life he would/would not want for his Child. I think he would be a devoted father and always be there for his children instead of putting them through the orphan system. Even though he would be busy and successful, I think knowing how his father was and how his life was growing up he would have been a good father to his children

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think he would've been like Alexander was, simply because his early life wouldn't have been shaped by being an orphan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never thought about this. But I think that there comes a point where the chain will stop. I don't think this abandonment will continue forever. Whether it is Philip that breaks it, I don't know. One difference, is Philip started with having a devoted father, unlike Burr who was orphaned. I think that is a major difference. Since the first five or so years are the most important, I think since his were filled with devotion it made an impact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is a wonderful question! I personally don't think that Phillip would follow in his dad's footsteps because Hamilton grew up as an orphan and wasn't really loved or cared for that much, but as you said earlier, Phillip was very much loved and cared for by two loving parents and therefore, wouldn't have that hard exterior that Hamilton has. But I do think that he would pick up on his pridefulness, and his strength, that he doesn't let anyone see what's going on underneath that hard exterior.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Given how smart Hamilton is, I can only guess that he would be looking to raise his son in a way that is far from the orphan lifestyle. Although Hamilton turned out to have more success than what would be expected from most orphans, I don't think this is how he would want his son to live his life, and especially for Phillip to pass that on to his own children. I think that Hamilton, and Phillip would both create a father son relationship based on love and respect, nothing like that of an orphan lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Given how smart Hamilton is, I can only guess that he would be looking to raise his son in a way that is far from the orphan lifestyle. Although Hamilton turned out to have more success than what would be expected from most orphans, I don't think this is how he would want his son to live his life, and especially for Phillip to pass that on to his own children. I think that Hamilton, and Phillip would both create a father son relationship based on love and respect, nothing like that of an orphan lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would think that because of Hamilton's hardships as a child that he would give his son a life far from his orphan lifestyle. Although these difficulties made him such the successful person he was no one would wish such hardship on their family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would think that because of Hamilton's hardships as a child that he would give his son a life far from his orphan lifestyle. Although these difficulties made him such the successful person he was no one would wish such hardship on their family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think that he would be more devoted to his child. Hamilton grew up as an orphan and was shown no love by a father or a mother. Phillip at least had a mother to make up for the lack of support and love the Hamilton didn't provide Phillip. I also think that when you see someone doing something that you don't like that you usually vow to yourself not to follow in their footsteps, and yes some times it doesn't work out but most of the time you are able to follow your word, and i think that that is what Phillip would've done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Phillip seems like such a determined human being. He would have been so devoted to his child that he would do anything for him, just like his dad! If he would have had a son he would probably not have been as cocky as he was and would not have gone and had a duel, he would probably have lived longer and never would have left his child as an orphan. Also i dont think it would be so much of a cycle as an unhappy situation, due to the fact that Alexander never left his son an orphan.

    ReplyDelete