Wednesday, August 24, 2016
Me, My Blog, and the Rules
Well, this is officially my first blog post: ever.
I guess I want to start off by introducing myself, the blog, and the rules of the blog (in case you are just hear to enjoy the blog and aren't enrolled in English 190).
Introduction time:
Hello, blog readers! My name is Morgan Alexander, and I am a freshman here at Truman State University. I am very excited for this creative writing course, partially because I love history and partially because we have no tests! The ultimate goal of this blog, for me, is to be able to connect to not only Hamilton over the next semester, but to also to connect to my fellow classmates and even the revolutionary time period itself.
Here are the rules of the blog posts:
When a song makes reference to a person, place, or event about which you’d like to know more, do a little bit of general research on that topic. Your blog entry should work to connect the lyrics in the song to what you have learned. Is the portrayal of that person, place, or event in the musical accurate? Why or why not? What kind of commentary might Miranda be making in his artistic choices here?
Connect a song in the musical to something about contemporary American culture and/or politics. You should draw from your knowledge of a variety of subjects and current events, but feel free to do a little research here as well. For example, you might use “The Election of 1800” to start a conversation about the current election.
Perform a close reading of a song or set of songs in which you focus on one particular element or device that Miranda uses. You can approach this from a textual or a musical basis—that is, you can focus on things like diction and rhyme, or you can consider things like melody or rhythm. Offer a few examples of this element. What is significant about this choice? How does it influence how we as the audience might interpret or respond to this song?
Now, I hope to include cool picture and video links in all, or many, of my posts in order to spice it up a little bit. I also look forward to seeing my classmates' inputs about what I write in these posts. I hope to include some questions I might have about things during certain posts, and hope that you all can help me find the answers, and that I may be able to answer your questions.
Well, English 190, 'smell ya later'.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment